maandag 4 januari 2016

Van Morrison & The Chieftains - Irish Heartbeat (1988)

Van Morrison is redelijk goed vertegenwoordigt in mijn verzameling.Het is moeilijk een favoriet album aan te wijzen ,maar Irish Heartbeat scoort toch erg hoog.


Irish Heartbeat is the eighteenth studio album by Northern Irish singer-songwriter Van Morrison and is a collaboration with the traditional Irish musical group The Chieftains, released in 1988 (see 1988 in music). The album was recorded at Windmill Lane Studios in Dublin, Ireland and reached number 18 in the UK album charts.

 Recalled Paddy Moloney(The Chieftains)
" I think at that time Van was searching for his Irish roots. It was this man of blues, of rock ‘n’ roll, jazz and more importantly soul, coming home to his Irishness with The Chieftains and the music we’d been playing for so many years. Musically we were going to meet each other half way."

Carrickfergus (Trad.arranged by Van Morrison & Paddy Molony

 "Carrickfergus" is an Irish folk song, named after the town of Carrickfergus in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. The origins of the song are unclear, but it has been traced to an Irish language song, "Do bhí bean uasal" ("There Was a Noblewoman"), which is attested to the poet Cathal Buí Mac Giolla Ghunna, who died in 1745 in County Clare.

  I wish I was in Carrickfergus, only for nights in Ballygran.
 I would swim over the deepest ocean, the deepest ocean for my love to find, 
But the sea is wide and I can't swim over, neither have I wings to fly. 
 If I could find me a handsome boatman to ferry me over to my love and die
. My childhood days bring back sad reflections of happy times spent so long ago.
 My boyhood friends and my own relations have all passed on now like the melting snow,
 But I'll spend my days in endless roaming; soft is the grass, my bed is free. 
 Ah, to be back now in Carrickfergus on that long road down to the salty sea. 
 And in Kilkenny it is reported there are marble stones as black as any ink.
 With gold and silver I would support her, but I'll sing no more now till I get a drink.
 I'm drunk today and I'm seldom sober, a handsome rover from town to town. 
 Oh, but I'm sick now. And, my days are numbered, so come ye young men and lay me down 

                      Van & The Chieftains plays songs of Irish Heartbeat at the Late Late Show 

Geen opmerkingen: